Thursday, November 17, 2005

November? It can't be November already!

Well, we're almost all the way through the semester and I've done very little blogging. That seems to be my theme here. But there is an explaination, I suppose. And it's a good explaination - the school is doing too many good things. Now, I know that sounds like Dr. Proctor-like NKU rah-rah hyperbole, but hear me out.

We're in a new college that has a nice buzz about it. Not much has materialized, but it's going to shortly. There has been a ton of work being done - as my students will attest to, especially when they're looking for me. My schedule has filled incredibly over the past two months, but it looks as if I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not a train. :-)

We have a new major in Integrated Media almost on the books. RTV is going to become EMB (Electronic Media and Broadcasting) in the fall. A restructure that is overdue and one with which I'm very happy. I'm on 5 (count 'em - 5!) search committees, including one for the inaugural dean for the College of Informatics. Now, one of the other four searches are for Speech, but the PR position needs to have a media interest. And the other two - one is for a "news-ish" media person for RTV/EMB and one in Integrated Media. That's what's exciting - that we're searching for a position for a major that we're still in the process of defining. OK, so "exciting" could be read as "slightly scary" but I'll just stick with exciting.

So, what's happening with digital cinema in Cincinnati? Well, the local winner of the 48 Hour Film Project is one of the top 5 in the nation and therefore is going to be shooting another movie-in-a-weekend, but this time with Panasonic's yet-to-be-released HVX-200 HD DVC-Pro direct-to-chip camera. I'm trying to get one of those cameras on campus to shoot my film this year too - and I'd love for it to be mine ... uh, I mean NKU's! ... soon. I want us to be the first program in town to move into HD. And then we'll start exploring the Internet2 connection we got hooked up over the summer.

Exciting times. Tiring times, but exciting. More soon.

CLS

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Blog contents © 2005 Chris Strobel

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?